I left Toronto bright and early on Monday morning.
The 6 hour train ride to Montreal was interesting to say the least.
Everything that had happened the week before and the night before ran through my head and I wasn't sure I'd be able to be away from 6 months and then come back and fit in where I did before.
But after a week if being uprooted every couple of days, meeting new people, forming new bonds and then being forced to leave them behind, I think I'm finally settling in.
I arrived in Montreal at noon on Monday, took a taxi to the CWY headquarters and met up with the 40 other people who would be going to Brazil.
We then left for a 4 day camp where all of us stayed in the same chalet, had orientation and found out which of us would be going to the same communities.
The camp was amazing. The location was beautiful and we all got really close. (40 young people generally unsupervised in a camp, left to their own devices? The chalet was disgusting by the time we left)
After that we left Montreal and took a flight to Toronto - I was home! But only for an hour. From Toronto we took a 12 hour flight to Sao Paulo, and from Sao Paulo we took a 1 and a half hour flight to Porto Alegre.
We were greeted at the airport by cheers, hugs and kisses from our Brazilian counterparts.. and we were forced to say goodbye to the friends that we've made from the 4 days of camp and the 30 hour journey.
My group of 9 going to Manoel Viana separated from the rest of the group and took a bus to a farm where we spent 2 days trying to communicate with our Brazilian counterparts via broken Portuguese, English and French.
We left the farm yesterday morning, and after an 8 hour bus ride to Manoel Viana filled with food and bracelet making, we arrived to the community.
The family that I'm staying with consists of a single mother and a son. My host mother is a teacher and she teaches english privately at home, so I'm lucky that we're able to communicate. My counterpart for the next 6 month's name is Carmel. She's into photography as well, and she was actually the first person I talked to before leaving. I'm really happy with her as my partner for the entire experience, apparently according to the brazilian supervisor, we're twin souls. so i'm looking forward to going on some photographic adventures together.
I can't say that i'm missing home too much yet. there's too much going on right now to acutally sit down and evaluate how i feel, although i did get slightly emotional unpacking all my stuff this morning. after a week of living out of my suitcase, unpacking into drawers and closets means that i'm going to be here for awhile.
I'm sorry if my english kind of sucks. i'm slowly losing the ability to speak english, but my ability to speak french is improving and my portuguese is improving rapidly as well. I've gotten into the habit of speaking broken english to everyone.
I'm signing off now. Everyones going to the bar..?
Ill update with photos when i can. :]
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment