Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Exactitudes

I don't know if you guys have heard about photographer Ari Versluis and stylist Ellie Uyttenbroek's ongoing project "Exactitudes".
The basic premise is that they have been taking pictures of people all around the world since 1994, and focusing on people in particular "style tribes". They take shots of people in certain poses and in effect, erase their individuality, displaying all the pictures of a particular "tribe" in a 3 x 4 format.
It's really interesting, and brings up questions of individuality when you see it. Certain groups who pride themselves as being different and unique (i.e. scene kids, goths, punks) when photographed and displayed that way, turn out to be part of something where they are in fact exactly like everyone else.

It's also reminiscent of Berndt and Hilla Becher's typography of German industrial architecture, and August Sanders' work, in which he created a typological catalogue of more than six hundred photographs of the German people.






Hilla and Berndt Becher - Pitheads








Anyways, here are a couple of images from the Exactitudes exhibit I found on Style Bubble.



Cardi-clad, geek chic boys.
(Sasha, we should include this as an example image)


Scarf wearing, "emo", short haired girls.


You can see more of the work on http://www.exactitudes.com/ .
(Just click any of the images, and the particular "style tribe" of whoever you clicked on, will show up)
There was a section of french boys that I saw on there that I wanted to show you guys, but they wouldn't let me save the whole series, and I didn't think of doing a screen shot til now, and I am having a really hard time trying to find them again..


EDIT: I found them!

The guy in the top at the middle totally looks like Xavier from Justice.
Just sayin'

So my question is, is this another spin on stereotyping?
Are all those boys in "The French Touch" actually French?
If they aren't, then is that okay?
Are we pigeon-holing people based on their style?

The photographs are on display now at Selfridges in London, and I believe they are looking for new 'tribes' to add to the book which comes out at the end of the exhibition.
You can hear Ari Versluis talk more about this project here

No comments: